ImageComments about any representative rugby league.


Postby H » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Kangaroos triumph against New Zealand sends ominous warning

Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
April 19, 2013 10:38PM

THE last 15 minutes.

That's when New Zealand have always let the Anzac Test slip from their grasp, when the Kangaroos machine clicks into a familiar old gear and forces the arm wrestle their way.

Even Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney said it before this game.

The prophecy came about 10 minutes early as Australia ran riot in the second half to claim the one-off Test 32-12 at a chilly Canberra Stadium.

In a match dominated by video referee decisions, the old firm of Jonathan Thurston, Cameron Smith and most certainly Greg Inglis again proved critical.

The victory keeps the Kangaroos' perfect record in this Test since 1998 in tact.

More than that, it sends an ominous message - even this far out - for the World Cup at the end of the year when Tim Sheens' men will again start as tournament favourites.

New Zealand arguably had the better of the first half, and were rewarded right on the stroke of half time when fullback Josh Hoffman scored after Kangaroos fullback Billy Slater misjudged a Frank Pritchard grubber kick on his own try-line.

At 6-all, it was either side's Test to win. At 6-all, with the Kiwis defending with the spirit that typifies the Anzac legend, it could've been the New Zealanders.

Instead, Australia took a 12-6 lead when Greg Inglis scored in the 51st minute after Hoffman had lazily failed to clean up a loose ball in his own in-goal.

From there, having sniffed the chance of ascendancy, the Kangaroos exploded with points.

A try to winger Brett Morris, after Luke Lewis had smoked down field on the previous play, in the 55th minute extended the lead to 16-6.

Further tries to Lewis (59th minute), Morris (62nd) and Hodges (72nd) merely underlined the point.

The result was the one most expected, and especially so after Kiwi captain Simon Mannering withdrew just before kick-off with a calf injury.

If there had been a whiff of complacency in the Australian side, it wasn't there as they crippled the Kiwis when it mattered.

That said, Sheens had been concerned.

Before the match, the word out of the Australian camp was that the coach was particularly edgy about his side's preparation.

He was concerned about the intensity of his players, and another round of meetings were called hours before they met a Kiwi side already missing Benji Marshall, Sonny Bill Williams and Jeremy Smith.

Instead, if not for video referees Shane Rehm and Russell Turner, the Kiwis could've conceivably led at the break.

It hadn't looked that way early.

When Kangaroos halfback Cooper Cronk waltzed over in the sixth minute, the inevitable landslide many had predicted appeared a formality.

The video referees denied Australia another try to backrower Sam Thaiday shortly after, after he had cleaned up a kick that was ruled to have been knocked on by winger Brett Morris.

In the 22nd minute, Klein again deferred judgment to the video refs, this time after Kiwi backrower Alex Glenn appeared to have scored.

Klein believed the ball had been spilt and the video referees could not find conclusive evidence to over-rule him and award the try.

Then came the most controversial moment of the half - one that left five-eighth Kieran Foran fuming.

Kiwi centre Dean Whare looked to have scored when Justin Hodges knocked on while attempting to snuff out a Foran cross-kick on the Kangaroos tryline.

Klein believed Hodges had been impeded in attempting to tackle Whare by Kiwi winger Justin Nightingale.

In truth, it was a 50-50 decision. At worst, the Kiwis deserved the loose head and feed from a scrum because of the Hodges knock-on.

Instead, the Kangaroos were awarded a penalty and the Kiwis' momentum was unfairly lost.

Three minutes later, Klein was forced to send a decision to the video referees for the fourth time of the half.

Pritchard had dived on a clever Foran grubber into the in-goal. This time, Klein thought it was a try. The video referees knocked it on the head.

AUSTRALIA 32 (D Boyd C Cronk J Hodges G Inglis L Lewis B Morris tries C Smith 4 goals) bt NEW ZEALAND 12 (J Hoffman F Pritchard tries S Johnson 2 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Ashley Klein
ImageDayboro Cowboys: Premiers 2000,2002,2004,2005,2006,2007,2009.
User avatar
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: ANZAC TEST:Review.

Postby Northern_Union » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 am

Luckless Kiwis bemoan video ref rulings ... ef-rulings
The Kiwis rued debatable adjudications by the video referees during last night's Anzac Test through will also cringe when reviewing footage of a second half performance that propelled the Kangaroos to a 32-12 victory at Canberra Stadium.

Management and players were mystified that Alex Glenn was denied his first test a try in the 23rd minute while Dean Whare was also unfortunate not to celebrate the same milestone when Jason Nightingale was ruled to have impeded Justin Hodges in the lead-up.

Those opening half setbacks were exacerbated when Steve Clark and Henry Perenara green-lighted a Greg Inglis touchdown that broke a 6-6 deadlock in the 51st minute and triggered a five-try blitz that buckled the under strength Kiwis resistance.

Stand-in skipper Kieran Foran pinpointed the Inglis try as his biggest gripe, claiming the match officials had missed an obstruction and knock-on.

"I thought there were a couple of cases there where it could have been called a no-try -- (Cameron) Smith running behind (Paul) Gallen and then (Billy) Slater touches it again as it goes forward," he said.

Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney had no view on that incident but felt Glenn had forced the ball before the video referees decided he had knocked on after dissecting several camera angles.

"That's why I guess they're (video referees) up there, that's their role, to get those decisions right. And I thought it was a try," Kearney said.

As did Glenn, who was promoted to the starting line-up at lock when captain Simon Mannering joined the injury list at late notice with a calf injury.

"I'm spewing. I thought I got it," he said.

Frank Pritchard was legitimately denied a try five minutes before the interval when the video referees identified a knock on though the second rower fared better as the siren sounded when his rare grubber kick sat up for Josh Hoffman after Billy Slater failed to flick the ball dead.

Hoffman's try finally rewarded the Kiwis perseverance although they could have potentially been well ahead at halftime.

"We were sticking to our game plan of coming through the middle, we thought it was a good half, we could have been 18-6 up," Glenn lamented before acknowledging the Kiwis second half display was self-destructive.

"We gave three penalties straight away. With a team like that we can't give away easy metres. We bought that upon ourselves."

Pritchard was among the culprits with a shoulder charge on Slater - the second time he was penalised for the now outlawed tackling technique.

"I'm pretty filthy on myself," confessed Pritchard, one of the Kiwis best performers and final try scorer in the 78th minute.

"I have to go back to the drawing board and learn how to tackle properly."

Poor discipline cost the Kiwis as the Kangaroos exerted control with four tries in 11 minutes through Inglis, Brett Morris, Luke Lewis and Darius Boyd.

"It's hard when you're playing against a side with the talent they have if you leg them out of the back field with penalties," Kearney said.

"There were individuals that let themselves down.

"If we want to be a side that challenges Australia every time we play them we've got to play for 80 minutes and it's got to be a disciplined approach and we let ourselves down them."

After conceding a sixth minute try to Cooper Cronk the Kiwis regrouped to dominate the opening half only to clock off when they retook the field.

Their completion rate was an appalling 30 per cent over the final 40 minutes and they were already starved of possession with the Kangaroos enjoying 21 sets to the Kiwis 10.

They were also caned 5-2 in the penalty count by referee Ashley Klein before the Kangaroos notched their sixth straight train-Tasman test triumph since being stunned by the Kiwis in the 2010 Four Nations final.

Satisfied Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens thought the Hoffman score refocused his players.

"The try right on halftime maybe shook us up a bit which maybe we needed.

"The boys had that 'kangaroo in the headlights' look," he said.

"We came out and took our chances in the second half and had the class to put a score on them."

- © Fairfax NZ News
User avatar
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:18 pm
Location: Timaru, the mainland

Re: ANZAC TEST:Review.

Postby Northern_Union » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:50 am

For the Kiwis who was missing?
Not convinced NZ would have won with these 5 guys in the side but i do think the score wouldn't have blown out either. And thats the problem for every test side except Australia. Once a test side starts losing some star players the depth isn't there to make up for them.
User avatar
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:18 pm
Location: Timaru, the mainland

Return to Representative rugby league

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest