EASTS TIGERS

Moderator: H

EASTS TIGERS

Postby H » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Thompson signs two-year deal with Bulldogs
http://www.thetigers.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=444&Itemid=48
April 12, 2013: Ethan James
To say the past few weeks for Corey Thompson have been a whirlwind would be an understatement.
Heading into round one in mid-March, his goal was simply to play good footy at fullback for Easts Tigers in the Intrust Super Cup.
Fast forward a month and the 23-year old has packed his bags for a move to Sydney after inking a two-year deal with NRL side Canterbury Bulldogs last Thursday.
Thompson's move is effective immediately and he will turn out for the Bulldogs' NSW Cup side at Sharks Stadium this Saturday.
“I was shocked. I mean, I was supposed to be playing in Mackay last weekend and now I’m heading to Sydney for two years,” Thompson said.
He said the interest from Canterbury - last year's grand finalists - came essentially out of the blue.
“It started before the Redcliffe game (in round two) and they just wanted to see how I went against a top side. “
“I had a good game and it just went from there. I flew down last Thursday and met the coaching staff and everything. They offered me a contract and I accepted. The whole process would have been maybe three weeks.
“I just can’t wait to get started because it doesn’t even feel real at the moment.”
Since joining the Tigers from southside rivals Souths Logan ahead of the 2012 season, Thompson has been a revelation. While he only crossed the try line nine times last year, his consistent all-round performances saw him claim the club’s Best Back Award.
“That (moving to Easts) was probably my best move, especially with all the coaching staff and how easily they fitted me in," he said.
“So, leaving will be hard. I went to training last Friday and told all the boys I was leaving. But I spoke to Thorpey (Easts’ captain Steven Thorpe) and he said he’d do the same thing. It made it easier that they were all so happy for me.”
Despite his stellar form on the paddock last season, Thompson revealed that his heart and mind weren’t quite in the right place at various times.
“Yeah, I wasn’t really into it last year but going to Melbourne for pre-season definitely brought back the enthusiasm,” he said.
Easts’ head coach Craig Ingebrigtsen was one to witness the spring return to the step of the man with the scintilating footwork.
“He came back from those few weeks of training with the Storm with a really good attitude. He’s worked really hard on and off the field,” he said.
“He’s been great to coach, everything we’ve asked of him he’s done. He has kept learning and taken what we’ve given him and he’s also taught us a few things as well. I’m really proud of him. That’s what we coach for, to help create pathways. It would be great to see him get a shot in the NRL.”
Thompson’s versatility was an enticing factor for the Bulldogs and he expects to slot-in anywhere in the outside backs if required.
“I spoke to Des Hasler just about their team and what they’re about… they see me basically as a utility to just fill the spots somewhere at centre, wing or fullback,” he said.
Having learnt first-hand how quickly things can change, Thompson is focused on making the most of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
And he brushed aside any concerns when asked whether the well-documented Sydney off field ‘distractions’ would get in the way of his NRL dream.
“I’ll be right. I don’t really go much or get involved in any of that, so it should be easy.”
“I’ve just got to make the most of this chance.”
ImageDayboro Cowboys: Premiers 2000,2002,2004,2005,2006,2007,2009.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Re: EASTS TIGERS

Postby H » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm

A LINK TO THEIR HOMEPAGE.
http://www.thetigers.com.au/
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Quartet set to debut for Easts

April 16, 2013: Ethan James

A total of four players will make their Intrust Super Cup club debuts for the Tigers in the side's first home game of the season against Tweed Heads this Sunday afternoon.

Following the departure of Corey Thompson to NRL side Canterbury last week, Hughie Stanley is set to start at fullback after some impressive performances in FOGS Cup over the past few weeks.

"Hughie's speed is obviously his biggest asset, he's very quick and electric. He has some experience at this level as well, having played Cup before at Sunshine Coast," coach Craig Ingebrigtsen said.

Former Wests Tigers Under 20s representative Michael Kai will line up in the centres for his ISC debut.

"It will be a big ask for Michael seeing as he'll be lining up on Dave Taylor's side. But we wouldn't put him there if we didn't have faith in him. He reads defence well," Ingebrigtsen said.

Dayboro junior Liam Tyson (pictured) is another to play his inaugural top grade game. The 21-year-old five-eighth helped guide the FOGS Cup side to the premiership victory in 2012, claiming Man of the Match honours in the Grand Final.

"It's just been a matter of time for him, Liam brings a really cool head to the position. He'll just need to get used to the speed of the game, it's obviously a lot quicker than reserves. But he suits our style," Ingebrigtsen said.

Off season signing Adam Marr has been named to start at prop.

After playing on the road for the opening five rounds of the season, the Tigers' mentor said everyone at the club simply can't wait to get back on home turf at Langlands Park.

"It's felt more like six or seven weeks to be honest when you take into account the trials and also our pre-season camp. But we're really looking forward to playing at home," he said.

The Intrust Super Cup match will also be broadcast live on Channel Nine from 2pm.

Meanwhile, the Tigers Under 16 side will be playing for a place in the Grand Final when they take on Townsville Stingers at Dolphin Oval on Saturday.

Intrust Super Cup v Tweed Heads Seagulls

2:00pm

1. Hughie Stanley 2. Jack Joass 3. Eddie Tautali 4. Michael Kai 5. Ryan Pooley 6. Liam Tyson 7. Todd Murphy

8. Steve Thorpe (c) 9. Tom Butterfield 10. Adam Marr 11. Tim Glasby 12. Brett Zgrajewski 13. Dane Hogan

Interchange: 14. Liam McDonald 15. Matt Zgrajewski 16. Leon Panapa 17. Isaac Kaufmann

Coach: Craig Ingebrigtsen

FOGS Cup (v Souths Logan Magpies)

12:15pm

1. Michael Thomas 2. Josh Jerome 3. Jacob Paul 4. Corbin Kiernan 5. Maeli Seve 6. Geoff Holcombe 7. David Georgiou

8. Wiremu Ratana 9. McKanah Gibson 10. Liufau Hala 11. Luke Lavelle 12. Brad McKee 13. Sioeli Makaui

Interchange: 14..Foisa Peni 15. Anthony Cheng 16. Dwayne Craft 17. Damon Koolstra

Coach: Scott Sipple

FOGS Colts

10:30am

1. Wayne Kennedy 2. Brandon Downey 3. Codey Kennedy 4. Whetu Austin 5. Ben Apelu 6. Jaiden Reynolds 7. Billy Walters

8. Tom Dempsey 9. Mitch Askew 10. Justin Milo 11. Kurt Hatfield 12. James Moore 13. Tom Ingersole

Interchange: 14. Rhys Tierney 15. Kulima Panapa 16. Nathan Smith 17. Robert Kennedy

Coach: David Krause

Finals (Game One) v Townville Stingers

11:00am Saturday, April 20

Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Luke Swift 3. Cameron Torpy (c) 4. Tiaan Wilkins 5. Tyson Smith 6. Jayden Carroll 7. Jacob Teevan

8. Agassi Stowers 9. Ryan Cameron 10. Kaleb Fuimoano 11. Calvin Pritchard 12. Lachlan Barr 13. Jacob Elmore

Interchange: 14. Frank Fualema 15. Heath Wilson 16. Joel Gittens 17. Matt Smit

Coach: Wayne Adams
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:48 pm

http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=72780&title=round-6-intrust-super-cup-preview
EASTS TIGERS v TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS
Langlands Park on Sunday, April 21 – 2pm* (live on Channel 9)
Referee: Tim Rutherford
Head to Head: Tweed 11 Easts 10
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #ISC #TIGESvTHS

In their first home game back at Langlands Park this season; the Easts Tigers will not only have to contend with a Tweed Heads side who are fully rested following the bye – but also one boosted by the inclusion of man mountain Dave Taylor. Wearing jersey number 20 – Taylor should be a handful as he attempts to play his way back into the Titans NRL side. The Tigers also had the bye last weekend and have made a few changes to the side that were defeated in round 4 by the Mackay Cutters, with four players set to make their Intrust Super Cup debut for the club. Hughie Stanley starts at fullback, taking the place of Michael Thomas – who had the unenviable task of replacing Bulldogs recruit Corey Thompson in the Cutters game. Michael Kai is in for Shane Neumann in the centres and Liam Tyson will play five-eighth in place of Geoff Holcombe. In the forwards, Adam Marr and Brett Zgrajewski will come into the starting side. Tweed has a strong recent record against the Tigers and have won four of their past five matches. However, Easts won the last game played between these two sides. Tweed forward Kingi Akauola is set to reach a personal milestone in this match and will play his 50th Cup game.

QRL Media tips: Easts Tigers by 4. While Tweed will have a star player in their midst, the Tigers will be desperate for a win in their first home game of season 2013.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Even though this is the channel 9 televised game here in Brisbane I'll be going to this game to watch my mates son make his QCup debut...go Tigers.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Halftime Tweed leading 16-8.Young Easts 5/8th Liam Tyson going well in his A grade debut.Another bloke going alright is Brett Zgrajewski.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Big Dave Delivers As Tweed Tame Tigers
Ethan James
22/04/2013 8:35:26 AM

He was the talk of the town pre-game and Dave Taylor lived up to the billing on the field, as he guided Tweed Heads Seagulls to a 23-20 victory over Easts Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

After being dropped from the Gold Coast Titans due to disciplinary reasons, the former Queensland and Australia forward pushed his case for an NRL recall with a dominant 80 minute display.

Taylor played a hand in two of the Seagulls’ four tries, which included a perfect long pass to winger Ali Hijazi in the 66th minute.

The man known as ‘The Coal Train’ also crashed over for a four-pointer on the stroke of halftime on his way to the XXXX man of the match award.

Even though he spent just one session training with the Seagulls’ side, coach Aaron Zimmerle said Taylor’s attitude and professionalism had been first class.

“We pride ourselves on being a tradesman-like team but today we were a tradesman-like team with the addition of Dave Taylor,” he said.

“He was the difference in the end result because of what he set up in regards to try scoring opportunities.

“But the thing that makes me most proud of is that, during the contest, there were times when we could have fallen away but the team didn’t give up.”

Tweed were forced to finish the match with 15 players after losing hooker and skipper Matt King with concussion and bench prop Kingi Akauola (high ankle sprain) mid-game.

They also had to withstand a number of surges from the Tigers in a match where the sides went tit-for-tat in the try scoring stakes.

“At the beginning of the season most people probably saw us as an unknown and didn’t place us in the reckoning as a side that can be at the top-end of the table,” Zimmerle said.

“Last week was a bit of a catalyst for us, we beat the Pride up there (Innisfail) … and we came here today with a little bit of confidence.”

According to Easts coach Craig Ingebrigtsen, the Tigers were left to rue ill-timed errors and poor options at crucial moments.

“If I could sum up what we needed up in one word; patience. We created enough opportunities but just didn’t finish them off,” he said.

One Tiger to catch the headlines was winger Ryan Pooley, who pulled off a stunning mid-air finish in the corner midway through the first half.

Trailing 16-8 at the break, Easts reduced the deficit when centre Eddie Tautali capitalised on a charge down. However, Taylor’s cut out pass to Hijazi saw the Seagulls regain the ascendency 22-14.

Some fleet footwork by Tautali saw the Tigers primed to make a miracle comeback in the final 10 minutes but their efforts proved in vain, with Tweed Heads utility Marmin Barba slotting a field goal in the dying stages.

The win sees the Seagulls move to eight competition points, equal with Northern Pride, Wynnum Manly, Souths Logan and Mackay at the top of the Intrust Super Cup table.

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 23 (Ali Hijazi 2, Tim Maccan, David Taylor tries; Brad Lees 3 goals; Marmin Barba field goal) def EASTS TIGERS 20 (Eddie Tautali 2, Ryan Pooley, Dane Hogan tries; Jack Joass 2 goals) at Langlands Park.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby TerryG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:13 pm

H wrote:...One Tiger to catch the headlines was winger Ryan Pooley, who pulled off a stunning mid-air finish in the corner midway through the first half.

Rugby League Week tweeted this clip of Ryan Pooley's try in yesterday's cup match.

Rugby League...a game of inches.
:clap:
“People who compete against themselves are the real competitors” - Wayne Bennett
TerryG
All Star
All Star

Return to Queensland Cup