Samoa vs. Tonga teams named

ImageComments about any representative rugby league.

Samoa vs. Tonga teams named

Postby Northern_Union » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Teams for the up coming Samoa vs. Tonga test in Australia.
Northern_Union
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Samoa vs. Tonga teams named

Postby Northern_Union » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Interesting that Carlos Tuimavave and Martin Taupau along with Eddy Pettybourne have opted to go with Samoa. All three will have strong cases to make for Kiwi selection i would have thought in the not to distant future. All three were junior Kiwis as well.
Northern_Union
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fanrrior » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Pretty good packs but I can't see how Tonga will win with their halves.
Fanrrior

Postby Northern_Union » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I dare say that Tonga will try and bash themselves a win.
Northern_Union
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Muppet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Some very handy players in both sides. Good to see as this is good for the International game.
Muppet
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby Muppet » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Samoa v Tonga live on SKY Sport

FLASHBACK: October 31, 2008 – the clash between Toa Samoa and Mate Ma’a Tonga at Centrebet Stadium in Penrith. That night the Samoans won 20-12. Photo: Photosport.

If you haven't caught up with it, the Test between Toa Samoa and Mate Ma'a Tonga will also be shown live on SKY Sport this weekend.

It will be part of a rugby league triple header at Centrebet Stadium starting at 5.00pm NZT with the New South Wales Cup match between the Mounties and North Sydney, followed by the under-20 New South Wales v Queensland State of Origin match at 7.30pm NZT.

The clash between Toa Samoa and Mate Ma’a Tonga was one of the most eagerly-anticipated matches at the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.

So the schedule for a big weekend of footy is:

FRIDAY:
Kangaroos v Kiwis, Canberra Stadium, live SKY Sport 2, coverage starts 9.30pm.

SATURDAY:
New South Wales Cup: Mounties v North Sydney, Centrebet Stadium, live 5.00pm, SKY Sport 2
Under-20 State of Origin: New South Wales v Queensland, Centrebet Stadium, live 7.30pm, SKY Sport 2
Test Match: Toa Samoa v Mate Ma'a Tonga, Centrebet Stadium, Penrith, live 9.30pm, SKY Sport 2

SUNDAY:
Origin: Country v City, BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour, live 5.00pm, SKY Sport 1
40/20: Live 7.00pm, SKY Sport 1
Muppet
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Taumalolo keen to sink teeth into Samoans

ANTONY STEWART | April 18th, 2013
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/04/18/379582_sport.html

JASON Taumalolo's toothy grin is all Samoa need to see to know the rampaging back-rower is intent on causing them destruction.
While New Zealand-born - and still with designs on playing for the Kiwis in this year's rugby league World Cup - Taumalolo's pride in representing his parents' native Tonga in Saturday's Test at Penrith's Centrebet Stadium is overwhelming.

Taumalolo smiles and points to his front two teeth when asked about his connection to the island nation.

There, shining brightly, are two gold teeth.

Far from being the "bling" favoured by many hip-hop artists, North Queensland Cowboy Taumalolo's unique look is part of Tongan culture - a traditional rite of passage for young men, although the origins are a little sketchy.

"I've got Mum's melted-down wedding ring on one tooth and Dad's wedding ring on the other," he said.

"That's something that keeps them really close to me. I was eight or nine years old and I had it done when I went to Tonga. It's a bit like a filling where they drilled a bit and filled in the little gap with gold from Mum and Dad's wedding rings.

"It's something a bit different from Samoan tradition, which is having tattoos."

Mum Tominika and Dad Vaai were proud of their young son last year when, as Australia and New Zealand battled for his representative allegiances, Taumalolo went with his heart and stayed loyal to the Kiwis.

But the 19-year-old said knowing that he would be running out in the red of Tonga had them bursting with excitement.

"I'm playing for family and I wanted to play for my heritage and they're all pretty proud of me," Taumalolo said.

"It's so special, to represent Tonga. It's something that I'll remember for the rest of my career. The fact that we're playing Samoa in this Test match, that really says it all."

The intense rivalry between Queensland and New South Wales takes on insignificant status next to the Tonga-Samoa ill-feeling.

Taumalolo was all too aware of that the "hatred" between the nations dated back hundreds of years and went well be- yond sport.

"We go way back to when we were at war against each other and there is a lot of hatred since then," he said.

"So it's a tradition and Tongans always look forward to playing Samoans and just competing against each other."

Sledging text messages between Taumalolo and Cowboy Samoan Kalifa Faifai Loa started the moment the teams were announced on Sunday.

Also lining up in the blue of Samoa will be Antonio Winterstein and Alex Elisala.

Taumalolo said friendships would mean nothing for 80 minutes on Saturday.

"None of us will be thinking about being teammates at North Queensland, we'll be going full-on," he said, cheekily promising to target wingers Faifai Loa and Winterstein if they are lined up on his side of the field. The last thing the Cowboys' Samoan trio will want to see at fulltime is Taumalolo's golden grin beaming back at them.
ImageDayboro Cowboys: Premiers 2000,2002,2004,2005,2006,2007,2009.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby Northern_Union » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Cool this should be a great weekend of rep footy.
Northern_Union
Administrator
Administrator

Postby H » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:26 am

‘Big Papa’ eyes Tonga chance
http://quest.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
UNLUCKY BRONCO BACK ON THE FIELD AND IN TEST CONTENTION

It is a dream come true for Redcliffe boy David Hala, who has been named in the Tonga representative squad ahead of the Test match against Samoa on Saturday night.

The Redcliffe Dolphins junior is the first to admit the road to the NRL and now international selection hasn’t been easy, and at times he could have easily given up.

A foot injury during the 2012 pre- season sidelined him after an impressive 15 games in the NRL in 2011. When he returned to the Broncos line-up against the Storm he was given another cruel blow when he suffered a season-ending knee injury.

The 188cm, 113kg front rower known as ‘‘Big Papa’’ has only just returned to the Broncos in the past two weeks and has been doing what he does best – running and hitting hard.

Despite the set backs so far, finding out he had been selected to represent Tonga was a truly proud moment for the 23-year-old and his family, who are regulars on the sideline when Hala is out on the field.

‘‘Mum and Dad are both from Tonga, but I was born in Redcliffe after they decided to come here,’’ he said.

‘‘They were really happy when they heard (I made the team), especially carrying dad’s last name Hala. It’s a really big thing for them and me to be representing the country.’’

The team list will be finalised today or tomorrow and if Hala makes the starting 17, his family will board a plane to Penrith in time for Saturday night’s clash.

‘‘If I make it, I’ll just be doing what I’ve been doing for the Broncos and what I’ve been doing for Redcliffe. That is running the ball hard, tackling hard and doing my job so I represent my country as best I can.’’

Coach Charles Tonga said this Test match was the perfect lead up to the World Cup and impressive performances in this game could help World Cup selection.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:42 am

Faifai Loa's Samoan call to arms

ANTONY STEWART | April 19th, 2013
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/04/19/379651_sport.html
FIRED UP: Samoan rugby league players Kalifa Faifai Loa, Junior Sa'u, captain Roy Asotasi, Jeff Lima and Eddie Pettybourne at North Cronulla yesterday
BEING the centre of attention is a way of life for out-of-the-box Samoa representative Kalifa Faifai Loa.

So it felt a little strange when at a fan day in Cronulla ahead of tomorrow night's rugby league Test against Tonga at Penrith, the North Queensland Cowboys winger was snubbed by supporters for the island nation.

"No one even knows I'm Samoan, so they didn't even recognise me," Faifai Loa said with a laugh.

But the loveable larrikin plans on turning that around at Centrebet Stadium. By the end of 80 minutes, Faifai Loa is determined to be on the tip of every Samoan's tongue, driven by family pride, a fierce rivalry between the two countries and a desire to stamp the country as a rugby league power.

"It's going to be brutal," Faifai Loa said.

"Every clash, it doesn't matter what sport it is - soccer, rugby, league, even volleyball - if it's Tonga and Samoa, there is a massive rivalry. We should have this (Test) every year ... it's such a privilege."

Faifai Loa said he feels a deep connection to Samoa through his heritage, although he admitted he had never been to the nation and was born in Wellington in New Zealand, even representing the Kiwis in two Tests in 2011.

So much so he has turned his back on the chance to help NZ's World Cup title defence later this year.

Although some players will remain eligible for the Kiwis even after playing for Samoa or Tonga, Faifai Loa has pledged his full allegiance to the blue jersey and reckons he even has the Samoan pre-game Haka "down pat".

"My parents are Samoan and they are so happy now," he said.

But the ultimate goal for Faifai Loa goes beyond tomorrow's Test. The 23-year-old is hoping other Polynesian players follow his and numerous teammates' leads and, instead of instinctively pledging to play for NZ, use their talents to help Samoa emerge as a genuine power.

"I'm just trying to spread the word, (saying) not to be shy and play for your true colours and follow your heart," he said.

"You can see on paper that there is heaps of young talent in the Samoan team as well as old talent. There are 10 of us under 25 (years old), so hopefully that gets the message to other young Polynesian boys to come out and play for their country, and that's what we're doing here, promoting that."

Faifai Loa is joined by fellow Cowboys winger Antonio Winterstein and hooker Alex Elisala in the Samoan team.

Jason Taumalolo will be representing Tonga.

Losing is not an option for the Samoans.

"We're not thinking about that, it's Tonga that should be worrying about losing," Faifai Loa said.

But what about threats from Taumalolo setting himself to target and exploit wingers Faifai Loa and Winterstein? Faifai Loa wished the teenager luck but said he didn't expect to see too much of the giant backrower.

"That's if he can get past our forwards first," he said.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby Muppet » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 am

This match has the possibility to overshadow the Australia/New Zealand test. These 2 sides usually really give it to each other as there is no love lost between the 2. I think it will be a cracker and am really looking forward to it.
Muppet
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby H » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 am

Muppet wrote:This match has the possibility to overshadow the Australia/New Zealand test. These 2 sides usually really give it to each other as there is no love lost between the 2. I think it will be a cracker and am really looking forward to it.

I agree Muppet.These two teams really don't like each other.Will be the pick of the weekends games for sure.
H
Holden Cup Player
Holden Cup Player

Postby lilyyang » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm

That's something that keeps them really close to me. I was RO2 Gold eight or nine years old and I had it done when I went to Tonga. It's a bit like a filling where they drilled a bit and filled in the little gap with gold from Mum and Dad's wedding rings.
lilyyang
Park Footballer
Park Footballer

Return to Representative rugby league